Highland Lights

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thing 4: Get to Know Your Public Library

Public libraries have always been a part of my life. Some of my earliest memories involve trips to the big old Carnegie Library with Dad and my four sisters. Mom was an avid reader but I'm sure she stayed home from the library trips to enjoy the peace and quiet, knowing we'd be gone for hours!
The public library that I frequent now is the Wildwood branch of the Washington County Library in Mahtomedi. I first visited there 27 years ago, having just moved to the area and looking not only for books but for connection to the community. It has been all that and more over the years. It's been story time for my children, community meeting space, source of the latest good books, computer access before we had that in our home, on-line databases when doing college course work, books on tape for long car trips - well, just too many things to count.
One of my favorite library programs is the "One Book, One Community" event held every November. The community reads a book by a Twin Cities author, then meets for a discussion/q&a with the author. Last evening Jim Klobuchar discussed his book Walking Briskly Toward the Sunset, with a good turnout of the community.
What would we do without public libraries, and librarians to make it all happen?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home