Highland Lights

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thing 17: One New Thing

Something new today is the Amazon Kindle, an e-reader that is hitting the market as this post is being written. I've been reading about it in the Newsweek magazine that arrived a few minutes ago, and also in Doug Johnson's Blue Skunk Blog. It is supposedly the future of reading, the shape of things to come, the best improvement on the 550-year-old technology called "the book." I'll let you read about the features of the Kindle in the Newsweek article, or in Johnson's blog at http://doug-johnson.squarespace.com/blue-skunk-blog/. Suffice it to say that it's a device the size and shape of a trade paperback that allows you to download novels, magazines, and newspapers and read them from the screen. The initial investment is $400 for the device, and the downloads of course have a price as well. But at $9.99 for a best-selling novel, it could pay for itself.
My initial reaction was, who'd want to read a screen? And my co-workers of a certain age tend to agree with me. But when I show the photo and article to students, I hear, "Wow!" and "Cool!!" and "I want one!!!" They're all for it. Then we talk about the ramifications of having volumes of information contained in a small device - an entire library in 5 Kindles? All of a year's textbooks in one Kindle? It could do away with heavy backpacks. English teachers could study different novels each year by choosing different downloads. The World Book could be updated with information as it happens. It's almost too much for a dinosaur like me to take in!
I don't plan to be an early adopter of the Kindle, but I'll be watching it closely.

3 Comments:

Blogger Linda said...

I'm so glad you wrote about this, because I read the newspaper article about it and promptly forgot the name of the thing. I'm with you -- initially I thought no way for me, but then I thought about not having to carry books around while traveling, or students not having to break their backs with all those books they carry around, I began to re-think it. One downfall was mentioned in the article: if you drop a book you pick it up and dust it off. If you drop the Kindle, you may be out $400.... Linda

November 27, 2007 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger HPSH WXman's 23 things said...

Wow, sounds cool. I want one. I'm all for lighter back packs.

November 30, 2007 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Thanks. It was interesting to read about a Kindle. I'd heard about it,but wasn't sure of any details of how to use it.
Leslie E.

December 21, 2007 at 11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home